Friday 5 April 2013

TOP THREE TRACKS OF THE WEEK

Disclosure ft. London Grammar - Help Me Lose My Mind
When I come across a Disclosure track, I can guarantee the following: 1) I’m going to love it, 2) It’s going to sound different to their previous release, maybe even better 3) It will take me back to the 90s garage scene, where I was too young to appreciate it first-hand before and 4) If its showing “featuring,” it will introduce a new band/artist on the rise. ‘Help me Lose my Mind’ epitomizes all of the above. So, in regards to number 4, who is London Grammar? The London- based tranquilizing trio are unsurprisingly set for worldwide stardom, with Hannah Reid’s intoxicating, intangible vocals and having also been described as “the new sound of The XX.” They are the band on every music critic’s lips and earphones this summer and what a better way to kick-start their career by collaborating with the dynamic duo Disclosure?! The combination of the two in my eyes (and ears) is perfection. It’s like strawberry jam and clotted cream; fresh, sweet and tastefully tuneful. In other words, if valium had a “sound,” this would be it.
Check it out here. 

City & Colour - Paradise

Featured on their latest album, ‘Paradise’has remained firmly on my music radar since its release this summer. Lately, the guitar has been over staged by synths and pitch-sifted vocals, with folks slippin’ back into their jelly shoes and varsity vests in the hope to rekindle their love of 90s garage. It’s so refreshing to see City and Colour haven’t surrendered. Dallas Green has maintained his symphonious sound, howlin’ out harmonies like he’s got festival crowds to please this year… Oh wait… Reading and Leeds you lucky sods! ‘Paradise’ has to be my favourite off the album, for the harmonies, melody, and the emotion Dallas brings when he sings out to those who are also looking for nirvana (not the band obviously…). You really believe in what he’s singing ya know? Like he’s been there before, passing on his chords of wisdom to us all.
Check it out here.
FYI – Other tracks from the album you need to wrap your ears around: ‘Take Care,’ ‘The Lonely Life,’ ‘The Hurry and the Harm.’

Sam Brookes - This is the Place

Listen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ELDpas5kZ0

In all honesty, I’ve only just discovered Sam Brookes. This discovery took place at an Emily and the Woods gig in Nottingham last Friday, situated in “Red Rooms” at Stealth/Rescue Rooms, where I’ve had many-a-drunken dance back in my Uni days. Coming back to Nottingham and not living there anymore was quite surreal, but seeing old friends and watching live music re-connected me. When you spend your pennies to see an artist you really admire, but are then moved by the support act, it’s like an added bonus thrown in for free. The whole of Sam Brookes’ performance was incredibly humble. Brookes held onto every note, accompanied by his guitar which emulated strums from Jeff Buckley’s Mojo Pin. Providing a video via my Blackberry of ‘This is the Place,’ wouldn’t have done it justice at all, so Luckily, I found another of the same song, just at a different venue (and better phone probably). Unfortunately, this track doesn’t appear on Brookes’ Spotify profile, but this tour has affirmed his current silence won’t be for too much longer. 
Check it out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to stop by and read my blog. I hope you like it and would love to hear your thoughts or leave your links behind so I can take a look at yours! :) XO