Monday 23 July 2012

'The Best Things in Life are Free.'

Well, that’s what Janet Jackson says, but after being unemployed for nearly a month, hearing from none of the potential employers, I’ve got to say, I’m now a non-believer of this statement.
I’ve recently decided to take half a year/year out of searching for internships in music journalism as I’m still not entirely sure what the best angle is to get myself securely on that career ladder.  I realised I wasn’t ready and my CV was rather amateur when my Uncle came to stay and asked me what seemed to be a simple question: ‘So, what are your favourite music journalists then?’ I admit, I was embarrassed at my inability to answer sufficiently, or at all for that matter. Instead, I just stared blankly at him and came out with a mediocre response of ‘I just read the stuff, I don’t really know who they are.’ So… what if I had stepped into an interview and was asked that question? It’s pretty obvious I’m not the best “blagger” in the world, so I would have fallen flat on my face. Excellent work Charlie. Good job.
Thankfully, I have saved myself this future embarrassment and have chosen to expand my portfolio and email various music websites to see if I can write for them, whilst working in a less desired job to save for a move to the city where it all happens, London.  
But, what I really want to ask is: How many articles, must the aspiring journalists write for free before it starts getting de-motivating? We all want rewards (preferably money) when we succeed or produce a good piece of work. My reward this year was a degree. Can’t say fairer than that, but now what? I’ve got to slog it out for a year doing more and more unpaid work?
I know I sound like I’m whining… I guess I am, but can you blame me?
I’m more than willing to get myself out there to websites and write for them and others in order to increase my knowledge and ability, so I’ll just have to suck it up and hope that this will allow me to eventually be successful in my “dream job.” But I can’t say that I’m going to be doing it with a smile on my face throughout, ha…
I think confidence is something I need to work on as well before I really step into the real world. Those who get the paid jobs, carry that self-belief which is vital in success. If you ask yourself ‘Am I great at what I do?’ and more importantly, ‘Am I great?’ and are unable to answer positively, then there lies the problem… It’s all about trying to stand out from the crowd, but when you’re one in amongst millions of power grabbing graduates, it isn’t easy.
Maybe this blog just sounds like I’m making excuses, prolonging the inevitable, complaining about minor things which are only going to go in my favour in the end. That might be the case… But for now, I will listen to The Martinis and carry these lyrics around with me, in the hope to turn this negative mind set around…
            Talk to y’all later.
Ps. Here’s hoping that I even get a few opportunities in unpaid work… Let’s hope this blog doesn’t tempt fate…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to stop by and read my blog. I hope you like it and would love to hear your thoughts or leave your links behind so I can take a look at yours! :) XO