Sunday 22 December 2013

Apple & Blackberry Jam Recipe

 I felt so Christmassy at the start of November. Perhaps a little too early for some... (definitely too early, happens to me every year), and now I can't believe it has crept up on us so quickly and we'll be tuckin' into our turkeys NEXT WEEK. I did begin to worry that I'd used up all my festive fever too early, when my excitement faded slightly last week, but I knew what would get me back in the mood: 
Apple and Blackberry Jam.

Blackberries are the fruit I link most with Winter (well those and cranberries of course!)and I've always wanted to make jam so thought little pots of these would make great presents. I've bought my family other gifts but thought something homemade would make the present giving a little more special.
For me, Apple and Blackberry is the perfect winter combination so couldn't wait to get stuck in when I came across a recipe from Delicious Magazine online.
First things first; The Ingredients:


500g Blackberries
500g Cooking Apples (peeled, cored & chopped)
1 Small Lemon (juice of)
1kg Jam Sugar
Now, let's begin! Preparation Method:
1.Put the blackberries and apples into a preserving or large pan with the lemon juice and 100ml of water. Place over a medium heat and simmer gently for 10-15 minutes.




2. Pop a couple of saucers into the freezer to chill. Add the sugar to the pan and cook, stirring to dissolve. *IMPORTANT* Bring to the boil and boil rapidly for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat. (Make sure you use a stopwatch, timing is key!)


3. Put a teaspoon of jam onto a chilled saucer for 1 minute. Drag your finger lightly over the jam. If it wrinkles, it has reached setting point, if it doesn't, boil for a couple more minutes, then turn off the heat and try again with another chilled saucer. Set aside to cool for 1 hour.



4. Once cooled, stir the jam, then ladle into each jar, seal and label.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to stop by and read my blog. I hope you like it and would love to hear your thoughts or leave your links behind so I can take a look at yours! :) XO